The following informations are indebted to the best Ayurvedic opthalmologist in Kerala. The stress nature of office type jobs are finding its place in any organization. Long hours spent in front of the computer systems, computer vision syndrome etc are finding its place among many individuals. Eye healthcare is an important arena that can be earmarked for preventive and curative aspects. Ophthalmology physicians of Kerala Ayurveda have developed their own special medicines and treatment methodologies regarding the preventive and curative healthcare of most of the disorders of eye. Dr Santakumari is a very sought after ophthalmology specialist in the Ayurveda circles of Kerala with about three decades of experience in ophthalmology practice. Nevertheless, I solicit more inputs from other efficient, experienced, open minded, Shalakyam practicing physicians to share their knowledge and experience to this forum. Requests have been made to various physicians of this branch for the same. The following clinical conditions are just few of the cases that regularly come across in clinical experience in the Ayurveda college hospitals of Kerala.
I, Dr Sreejith Pillai, am deeply indebted to the below Ayurveda practioners & professionals who spent their valuable time and energy in the preparation of this material
Dr P K Santakumari MD (Ayu)
Dr Jomon Joseph Daniel MD (Ayu)
Dr Sreejith Pillai
1. SINUSITIS - ACUTE PHASE
3. ACUTE MANAGEMENT OF CEREBRAL HEMORRHAGE
4. MANAGEMENT OF ARTERIAL BLOCK
5. RESIDUAL IMPACT OF THE ABOVE TWO CONDITIONS
6. ACUTE CONGESTIVE GLAUCOMA
8. CORNEAL ABRASION
Durva ghritham is found very effective for topical application.
9. CORNEAL ULCERS - KSHATHA SHUKLAM
Corneal opacity that is mild – curable by Ayurveda.
It’s a regular experience that by Ayurvedic treatments of topical application and internal medications in a corneal ulcer, chances of opacity become very minimal.
Corneal ulcer secondary to infection – poor prognosis – Ayurvedic measures do not help.
Corneal opacity that is dense – poor prognosis – Ayurveda can not manage.
10. STYE - ANJANA PITAKA
11. BLEPHARITIS - PILLAM
12. FOLLICULAR CONJUNCTIVITIS - SIKATHA VARTHMAM
Immediate response to the treatment done.
13. CONJUNCTIVAL INFECTIONS - UTHKLISHTAM, KARDAMA VARTHMAM
14. MADAROSIS - PAKSHMA SHATHAM
15. PTOSIS, BLEPHAROSPASM - VATHA HATHAM
Needs course of treatment for a month.
16. PTERYGIUM - ARMAM
It is possible to avoid the recurrence with the help of special Anjanas for two months duration that are very effectively employed in treatments.
17. SCLERITIS, EPISCLERITIS
18. DRY EYE
Unlike the modern medicine’s artificial eye drops that have side effects in the long run, Ayurvedic approach is more on the systemic lines and offer better results.
Course of treatment of 3 weeks each twice a year is required for substantial cure.
19. BLOOD VESSELS SPREADING LIKE IN THE CORNEA - SIRASHUKLAM
Modern medicine has a better role in this.
21. MACULAR EDEMA
22. RETINAL HEMORRHAGE
23. DIABETIC RETINOPATHY
Similar is the matter with hemorrhage, leakage ,exudates – these three can be arrested much better by Ayurveda.
Proliferative retinopaty – poor prognosis in Ayurveda.
Closed angle glaucoma – nothing can be done by any means.
25. RETINAL DETACHMENT
Total detachment – impossible by Ayurveda .
Its note worthy that selection of head oil is very important regarding diseases of the eye.
26. DEGENERATIVE DISEASES
27. MACULAR DEGENERATION
28. RETINITIS PIGMENTOSA
29. EXTERNAL HORDEOLUM OR STYE - ANJANA PITAKA
30. CHALAZION - LAGANAM
31. EPISCLERITIS AND SCLERITIS
32. SUB CONJUNCTIVAL HEMORRHAGE - ARJUNAM
33. PTERYGION - ARMAM
34. DIFFERENT STAGES OF CATARACT
35. CONJUNCTIVITIS - AMLOSHITHA
36. PAN OPHTHALMITIS - AKSHIPAKATHYAYAM
37. DEAFNESS - BADHIRATHWAM
38. TINNITUS - KARNANADAM
39. SUPPURATIVE OTITIS CONDITIONS - POOTHIKARNAM, KARNAPAKAM
40. CONDITIONS OF WAX IMPACTION AND ITS COMPLICATIONS - KARNAPRATHINAHAM
41. ALLERGIC/ VASOMOTOR RHINORRHOEA - BRISAKSHAVAROGAM
42. CHRONIC/ HYPERTROPHIC RHINITIS - DUSHTA PRATHISYAYAM
43. NASAL POLYP - NASARSAS RESPONDS VERY WELL TO LOCAL DRUG APPLICATION/ MINOR SURGICAL PROCEDURES
44. STOMATITIS - MUKHAPAKAM
45. TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA - ANANTAVATHAM
46. MIGRAINE/ VASCULAR HEADACHE - SOORYAVARTHAM
47. VARIOUS FORMS OF HEADACHES ( TENSION HEADACHE ETC.) - VATHIKA, PAITHIKA & KATHAJA SIRASOOLA ETC.
48. ALOPACIA AREATA - INDRALUPTHA
49. TONSILITIS - THUNDIKERI
50. DENTAL CARIES
But the last stage is Krimidantha & has to be extracted.
Some may need repeated treatment schedules at intervals of six months.